Date Chartered: 12/1/1974
The Section on Civil Procedure promotes the communication of ideas, interests and activities among members of the section and makes recommendations on matters concerning civil procedure, including pleading, practice, jurisdiction, judgments and federal courts.
Best Article Award
The Civil Procedure Section wishes to recognize excellence in legal scholarship by full-time untenured faculty members at AALS member and affiliate schools.
Nominations and Eligibility:
- Nominations should be directed to the chair of the section or to a member of the award selection committee and received no later than September 1, 2023. Self-nominations are welcome.
- Eligible articles are those in the field of Civil Procedure (defined broadly) that were published between May 1, 2022-May 1, 2023.
- Eligible authors are those who, as of May 1, 2023, were untenured full-time faculty members (including VAPs, fellows and junior clinical faculty) at AALS member or affiliate schools.
- Co-written articles are eligible only if all authors meet the eligibility criteria described above.
- The best article will be chosen by an award selection committee made up of at least 4 members of the executive committee.
- From the articles nominated, the award selection committee will select the top three articles: one will be named the best article, and the others will be awarded honorable mentions.
Announcement and Ceremony:
- Following receipt of AALS approval, the chair will announce the award and the runners-up at the section meeting in January 2024.