The Placement Bulletin is a publication (available in PDF format) that lists available law school faculty and administrative positions, as well as positions related to legal education in other departments and at international law schools. It is issued four times each academic year. Positions listed include:
- Subject Area Teaching positions
- Entry Level positions
- Lateral positions
- Academic Support positions
- Bar Passage positions
- Clinical and Externship positions
- Legal Research and Writing positions
- Visiting Assistant Professorships (VAP)
- Visitorships for current faculty
Law School Administration positions
- Associate Deans
- Assistant Deans
- Faculty Director positions
- Staff Director positions
Administrative Staff positions
- Administrative Positions
Placement Bulletin Release Schedule
Date Posted Online
|1||August 1, 2019|
|2||August 22, 2019|
|3||September 17, 2019|
|4||January 31, 2020|
Ways to Access
If you are a candidate registered for the Faculty Appointments Register, you have already paid for access to the Placement Bulletin. You may see each issue as it is released by logging in to the FAR site and clicking on “View Job Bulletin.”
If you are a faculty or a staff at an AALS member or fee-paid school you may access the Placement Bulletin online at no charge by logging in to the member-only page. Only faculty and staff members listed in the AALS database have access. Your username is your primary law school email address. If you do not have or do not remember your password, click the “Forgot Password” link on the bottom of the login screen.
If you are interested in subscribing to the online Placement Bulletin without registering for the FAR, and are not a faculty or staff member at member and fee-paid schools, please complete the Placement Bulletin Order Form (PDF) and submit it as instructed. Email email@example.com with questions.
Rates: Single Issue – $55; Annual subscription (4 issues) – $170.
Information for Interviewers
If you would like to post your school’s open positions in one or more issues of the Placement Bulletin, simply submit them via our online form using the guidelines below. Your submission of this ad indicates that your institution conforms to the AALS non-discrimination policies.
- Identify the type of position, which determines the section in which your ad will appear. If the advertised position fits more than one category, you may submit more than one ad for the position.
- Limit your ads to 500 words or less for directorships, and 300 words or less for all other positions.
- Include an email address for the primary point of contact for the Placement Bulletin ad.
- Indicate whether you want the ad to appear in the first, second, third, and/or fourth distribution of the Placement Bulletin.
Note: Deanships are posted on the AALS home page. Administrative positions are posted on LinkedIn. To submit a Deanship or administrative position, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission Deadlines & Rates
Deadline for School
Date Posted Online
|1||July 18, 2019||August 1, 2019|
|2||August 8, 2019||August 22, 2019|
|3||August 29, 2019||September 17, 2019|
|4||January 17, 2020||January 31, 2020|
Member and fee-paid schools may post open positions in the Placement Bulletin at no charge. Non-member schools (including law schools not located in the United States) are subject to a $160 fee per posting. This fee is waived if the school registers for AALS Faculty Recruitment Services.
Email email@example.com with questions.