AALS offers four main services to help law school recruitment committees identify and interview new faculty:
- Becoming a Law Teacher, a first-of-its-kind project that provides aspiring law teachers with an in-depth guide to the law school job market and qualifications and helps to build a wider, more qualified applicant pool for law schools.
- The Faculty Appointments Register (FAR), a robust, easily-searchable database of standardized application forms submitted by prospective faculty candidates.
- The Placement Bulletin, a collated listing of job ads disseminated to prospective candidates four times annually, in which participating schools may advertise their open positions for free.
- The Faculty Recruitment Conference (FRC), an annual conference in Washington, DC where recruitment committees can schedule 30-minute screening interviews with every potential candidate over the same 3-day weekend. Note: The 2020 Faculty Recruitment Conference has been canceled. Click here for more details.
These services are available to all law schools, including nonmember schools. The required FAR fee covers all services. Additionally, any AALS member- or fee-paid school may access and post unlimited ads in the Placement Bulletin without taking part in the rest of Faculty Recruitment Services.
Current faculty and staff at AALS member and fee-paid schools have free access to the following additional services:
- Lateral Faculty Positions and Administrative Positions in the Placement Bulletin, accessible by logging in to the member-only page. Your username is your primary law school email address. If you do not have or do not remember your password, click the “Forgot Password” link on the bottom of the login screen.
- Visiting & International Faculty Registers. Lists of full-time law faculty at AALS member and fee-paid schools who are seeking visiting positions during the upcoming academic year. The registers also include international law school faculty (at non-U.S. law schools) who are seeking to visit at a U.S. law school. These registers are available electronically for AALS member and fee-paid schools.
- Deanship lists. A list of current Dean vacancies. For any inquiries, contact us.
- Administrative positions at member and fee paid schools are shared on our LinkedIn.
For any inquiries, contact us.