Reports to: Director of Communications
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position supports the Director of Communications handles special communications-related projects that are aimed at improving the services of the AALS. The Communications Associate will join a staff of 25 as well as work with faculty volunteers around the nation.
Critical qualities for the role are good judgment, collegiality, strong writing and organizational skills, and a dedication to sustained and careful work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Support for Director of Communications
- Assists the Director of Communications on outreach to law school public relations and pro bono/public service offices and public-facing messaging.
- Conducts online research on law school programs and other legal education initiatives.
- Assists with writing and editing articles and content for AALS publications and the association’s website.
- Maintains a listing of law faculty books on the website.
- Assists Director of Communication on initiatives with other higher education and legal education related organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Works with the Research Department on joint communications/research projects.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Minimum 2 years of experience. Internships counted as experience
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Ability to build relationships with relevant stakeholders
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Copy-editing and writing experience preferred
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office and proficiency in databases
- High ethical standards and professional demeanor
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, exercise good judgment, and exhibit excellent customer service
- Nonprofit or higher education background preferred
- Requires some air travel.
- Requires computer work.
- Required manual labor for project management (e.g. mobility for on-site meeting support, packing and moving boxes of minimal weight, standing for photocopying and materials compilation).
Please send a cover letter, resume and one writing sample to AALS Jobs to apply for the position.